Winter Nights Mission Statement:
To protect homeless families from winter weather by providing shelter in a clean, safe, and warm environment and to help them break the homeless cycle by assisting them toward self-sufficiency and into stable housing.
The Winter Nights Rotating Family Shelter is a project of the Social Justice Alliance of the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County.
The shelter opens in October, closes in early June and serves up to 30 persons at any given time. The shelter site moves every two weeks throughout the winter, between hosting faith communities from the 107 member congregations belonging to the Interfaith Council. Congregations throughout central and east Contra Costa provide space, meals, and volunteers.
Winter Nights Goals:
- Provide shelter and food to homeless families in Contra Costa County throughout the winter
- Help homeless families find sustainable housing
- Keep homeless children in the school from which they went homeless
- Help homeless children achieve at grade level, and encourage reading habits
- Keep homeless families together during the stressful period of homelessness