One Winter Night is a volunteer effort to raise supplemental funds for the Winter Nights Family Shelter.
Winter Nights is one of the few shelters in Contra Costa County specifically focused on the needs of families with children.
It costs $952 per night to operate the shelter for 36 weeks each year. This pays for the sleeping tents, bedding and supplies for each family. It covers payroll for professional staff on duty 24/7, vans and drivers to for transportation, as well as daytime respite and services. Every child is taken to the same school they previously attended, and parents are given rides to work or BART.
Despite the breadth and success of the program, there is more to do.
One Winter Night hopes to raise funds to expand and extend the programs and services we currently provide.
- Increase the number of families served by expanding the number of sites we operate. Current shelter capacity is 8-9 families at a time, hosted by about 18 faith communities in the county. Expanding the number of host congregations could increase or double the capacity, but would require additional staff and supplies.
- Expand the number of weeks the shelter is open beyond the first week in June. Funding for an additional two weeks would provide stability for families through the end of the school year.
- Establish a Parking Lot Program for families living in their cars. This past season, Winter Nights ran a successful six-week trial of a staff-supervised overnight parking lot at a local congregation, with restrooms available. Our staff screened each family and offered our normal access to housing and employment services. We hope to be able to fund the expansion of this program.
One Winter Night is reaching out to businesses and individuals to share in expanding the program’s services in the upcoming year.
One Winter Night individual and business donors have generously contributed by
- Donating $952 or more to underwrite one or more nights of services
- Donating a smaller amount to sponsor part of a night of safety and services for families
- Committing to monthly, recurring donations that they build into their business’s budget
- Committing to donate a specific amount when they complete the sale of a house (Realtors)
- Transferring appreciated stock at the end-of-year, avoiding taxes.
We invite you to join us.
We CAN make a difference in the lives of more children and families.
How to help:
Donate by check
Please make your check out to the Winter Nights Family Shelter and mail to
Winter Nights Family Shelter
1543 Sunnyvale Ave.
Walnut Creek, CA 94597
Please write “One Winter Night” in the memo line
Winter Nights Family Shelter is a program of the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County (ICCCC).
Contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law. Tax ID # 94-1693225